There are many natural ways to relieve stress.
1. Breathing - take long, slow, even breaths when you recognise you are stressed. This will help you to feel calm and controlled and take your mind off your anxious thoughts. Be sure to breath out just as slowly as you breath in, say to the count of six. Do this for as long as you can and keep your awareness on your breathing.
2. Laugh - watch a funny film or program. Visit YouTube and find some funny animal clips. Try to look at the light side of a situation. This will break the circuit of anxiety and help you gain a new perspective.
3. Meditate - learning to meditate is very relaxing and health-enhancing. There are many ways to meditate. One way is to lie down, close your eyes and consciously relax every part of your body - allow it to feel heavy and loose. Now continue to breathe slowly to the count of four and out to the count of four. Keep focused on your breathing. If thoughts intrude, just notice them and return your focus to your breath. Another meditation technique is to stare at a candle flame, just focusing your awareness on the movement and shape of the flame.
4. Walk in nature. Do you have park, garden, beach or river near you? Moving water can have a particularly restful effect.
5. Essential oils - some that help relieve stress are Bergamot, Sandalwood, Geranium, Roman Chamomile, Clary Sage, Lavender and Sweet Marjoram. Ylang Ylang is also good. Use one of the oils or a blend of 2-3. Ways to use them include putting a few drops in a vaporizer and inhaling, putting 10-12 drops in a warm bath - stay in the bath for 20 to 30 minutes. A good stress blend is three drops Lavender, two drops Geranium and one drop Ylang Ylang.
6. B Vitamins. These become depleted when the body is stressed. Replacing them with supplements can bring some energy and relief.
7. Herbs - talk to the naturopath at a good health food store. Herbs known to relieve stress are St John's Wort, Siberian Ginseng, Oats, Skullcap and Lady's Slipper.